Saturday, September 02, 2006

Expectation and Desire

I've decided to let this blog be taken over by a discussion group that one of my best friends, Chris, and I leading this semester through the Christian Fellowship we are a member of at American University. Here's the description of the group from an email that I sent to our small group leaders:

"One thing that I care the most about right now is bringing honest and intelligent discussion about Christ into the conversation that happens in college classrooms. I'm hoping that this group can be a community where Chris and I can feed our mutual desire to see that happen and to bring some others along with us.

We start this Tuesday night, September 5, at 8:30pm at Davenport Coffee Lounge. We're a co-ed group that will meet to discuss God in a way that, fitting with this year's XA theme, will truly be deep and meaningful. People at all places in their relationship with Christ -- whether they are anti-Christians, pre-Christians, or long-time Christians -- are welcome. You all are more than welcome to attend if you are interested, and also keep in mind friends you might have that would be interested in coming. This kickoff week will be a bit more informal, but there will be free coffee of some kind, made and funded by yours truly.

Over the course of the semester, hopefully the group will have a few speakers from the interfaith community on campus. Some general topics I'm throwing around in my head relate to Nietzsche's statement that God is dead, Soren Kierkegaard's thought on the leap of faith, social justice in Christian community, and the reliability of the Bible (especially in the OT). None of these are certain, of course, just things that I'm thinking about. Topics will ultimately be directed by the interests of those who show up. Also, If you guys have any burning questions for God or something that has come up in a class of yours that might relate, let me know. Each discussion will have a short time of teaching before hand so that we can all be on the same page for the discussion."

I have several expectations and desires for the group:

1. That God will meet us.
2. That I will take time in study to be fully prepared.
3. That I will post in this blog at least weekly.
4. That people will comment on my postings.

This group is the reflection of one of my greatest desires -- to keep an ongoing conversation about God running through all of us students at American in a way that is intelligent and honest, and doesn't ignore the work that we are doing in the classroom.

If you can't join us on campus because of your schedule, or if you only interact with us through the internet community, please keep coming back here to check out what we are talking about and join in our conversation by commenting on our postings.

Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just trying out the comments!

Rachelle said...

This is gonna be good! I can feel it! :)