Monday, September 04, 2006

Questions and Doubts

When we are children, we are told by our teachers and parents, "There is no such thing as a stupid question." As we grow older, when our questions become higher risk because they have implications far beyond ourselves, I think we stop asking questions. We want to look like we already know the answers, or we want to keep our world stable, safe, and unchanging. Whatever the reason, no one I know believes that there is "no such thing as a stupid question" anymore.

In his book Velvet Elvis, Rob Bell describes a Doubt Night he had with Mars Hill church. He explains that the Doubt Night was a time for the members of his congregation to ask their deepest questions about God and man.

He writes, "People were encouraged to write down whatever questions or doubts they had about God and Jesus and the Bible and faith and church. We had to get a large box to hold all of the scraps of paper. The first question was from a woman who had been raped and didn't press charges because she had been told that doing so "wasn't the Christian thing to do. The man then raped several other girls, and this woman wanted to know if God would still forgive her even if she hadn't forgiven the man who raped her."

He goes on to explain that the questions the church received consisted of "Heaven and hell and suicide and the devil and God and love and rape -- some very personal, some angry, some desperate, some very deep and philosophical."

In the past, I've felt that churches stifled my ability to ask certain questions. It is as though my theological curiosity is threatening to the Christian faith. It is as though because I don't understand everything there is to understand about God and because I am searching to find the truth about him by defending and refuting ideas, I have no place in the faith yet. I can belong when I learn to accept everything at face value without asking any questions about the unfathomable mysteries of the faith in order to know them more intimately. This is how I've felt about asking questions in the past -- like I'm a problem that the church isn't ready to deal with yet.

I'm going to take back the right to ask difficult questions, not in order to threaten anyone or to be bitter, cynical, and skeptical so that I can tear faith apart and replace it with my own ideas, but in order to learn and grow and change. I agree with Rob Bell when he says, "A question by its very nature acknowledges that the person asking the question does not have all the answers. And because the person does not have all the answers, they are looking outside themselves for guidence."

One of our goals over the course of this semester will be to generate geniune questions that we have about God and our human existence. We may not always be able to find the answers easily, but through study and conversation God will meet us. Ranier Maria Rilke explains a way of questioning patiently while waiting for answers that seems useful to me: "I would like to beg you dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language." When we ask questions, we cannot demand fast and easy answers. We must ask with patience and wait for the answers which might be a long time in coming. We must have faith that the answers will come.

I believe that we can all grow by being honest and open with our doubts and questions for God. I'd like to make this blog post the beginning of our desire to learn more about God by asking him the deepest questions that are in our hearts right now.

Take some time after reading this post, and be quiet to see what questions you might have. Perhaps there's something you are curious about and would like to learn more about from God. Perhaps something has happened to you in the past, and you'd like to ask God why. If the questions that come to you are something that you'd like to share, leave them as comments on the blog. You can make them anonymous if you want.

Ask anything and everything.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I still be a Christian leader if I drink alcohol? Will I still be pleasing to God?

Sereena said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Is God dead like Nietzche said that he was?

Anonymous said...

Why is God so intangible?

Anonymous said...

Why do our best attempts at living life right, at cultivating meaningful relationships, at doing good always fall so very very short?

Why are all of our actions motivated mostly by selfishness.

Why don't we learn from our mistakes?

Why are we so prideful when we are nothing?

Why does God love us even though we are nothing?

How can he keep loving us when we keep making the same mistakes over and over again?

Why are Christians the very ones who often turn people away from God instead of bringing them closer.

Sereena, I told you once that I didn't really have any questions. I lied, apparently.

Anonymous said...

Why do we try to fulfill our needs in the dumbest ways?

Why can't we control our desires?

Anonymous said...

Why is God so vengeful in the Old Testament and so good and loving in the New Testament? The Bible says God never changes, but it sure seems like he did...

Rachelle said...

God is definitely big enough to deal with our questions and doubts. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

A lot of questions here are posed by "anonymous." I guess I'll join the trend.

If God truly desires me to experience joy and fellowship and spiritual growth, then why am I still here?
If I know God wants me to be somewhere else, and yet despite my efforts I'm still here, does that mean I have failed Him, or that He has failed me?
If my love is pure and I am truly committed to following God, why are so many people afraid to be loved by me?

Rachelle said...

Another thought:
I always want to answer questions. I guess it's just part of my nature as someone who grew up in church, as a small group leader, etc. I was tempted to start a discussion on the answers to some of the questions posted here. But I think that cheapens it a bit. Sometimes I think I have all the answers or that answers are easy to find. Sometimes that's just not true. You have to learn the hard way. You have to experience the answers, not just hear them from someone else. So here's to asking without trying to answer...

"My dear brothers [and sisters], take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry..."-James 1:19

Anonymous said...

When people go out drinking or partying, but they aren't putting themselves in any immediate danger, what is our responsibility as Christians? If you tell them not to drink, they blow you off. But if you don't it looks like you approve of their behavior.