Monday, September 11, 2006

Fundamentalism

Though it has sadly almost become a cliche, there is probably no better example of the dangers of religious fundamentalism than the 9/11 attacks. For the purpose of this post and to aid in our discussion, I'll use a definition from the American Heritage Dictionary.

Fundamentalism: A usually religious movement or point of view characterized by a return to fundamental principles, by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by intolerance of other views and opposition to secularism.

I remember being in school on 9/11. I didn't know anything about what was happening until I walked into my English classroom. On TV, in the front of the classrooms was the first tower burning. I remember watching one of the towers fall live on TV. I distinctly remember a classmate joking the the back of the room and not paying attention to what we were watching, and I remember thinking that he did not understand what was happening. It's strange that I thought that, because I feel that really no one understood what was happening at the time.

My mom picked me up from school that day. She knew people that worked at Cantor Fitzgerald and was in tears when she brought me home early. I think more than any other event that day, that affected me. While I understood the gravity of what I saw happening, it didn't evoke feeling in me until I saw how it upset my mom.

Both Christian and Islamic fundamentalism have large impacts on the world around us. They also cause a very good amount of discussion. In his book End of Faith, Sam Harris argues that people too often suspend their own rational thought for the sake of religious beliefs. With access to WMDs becoming more and more easy, Harris argues that the world will become more and more violent because of relgious belief.

Interestingly, Harris says that religious moderation also posses a threat. He views the encroachement of religion into society and politics as a result of moderate beliefs, and says that relgion's role is now so strong that its influence blinds people.

Here are some questions to think about and comment on:
1. What has been your personal experience with religious fundamentalism?

2. Is there a need for radical opinions in order to promote progress? Would only moderate viewpoints actually cause progress?

3. What role do you think fundamentalism(Christian or Islamic) plays in the world around you?

4. If you felt strong religious conviction, why wouldn't you completely follow the doctrines of your faith (e.g. be a fundamentalist)? What are some drawbacks of extreme viewpoints?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so most people think of me as a fundamentalist. Though I think we need to seperate cultural evangelism from true fundamentalism. A cultural fundamentalsim beings to define it's religion by why it is not... it looses mysticism and becomes an organization. When one is distracted or defined by the faith of others his own faith is empty. This deteriation is seen on attacks on American Society historically and throbbing withing the last 20 years. Defining faith by what your not may also be one of they factors thats leads to Islamic extremism. The extremist is so preoccupied with the non-believers that he throws theology and relationship with Diety to the wind; the extrmesist therefor can act in ways that are beyond even contrary to a bnelief system and justify it through others salvation. Actually within the Social Study of religion there is a strong correlation with this behavior and the failure of a religion... I think Nobert Elias makes some points along these lines.

We should be hissitant to attack Islamic Fundamentalsim, because they have a right to be fundamentalist, though extremism is another topic. Fundamentalism plays a key role in society if one accepts a role for the Devine in society, because they are the ones that are true to their believes systems. If concessions of core beliefs are to be made at any level a faith system is made bankrupt. The drawback like Keirkegaard's Knight of Faith who is unable to function in society.

Rachelle said...

Many people see Christian fundamentalism as being Republican, Pro-life, homophobic, etc., a strict interpretation of the "rules" of Christianity. However, I would argue that's actually not what fundamentalist Christianity should be at all.

To be a fundamentalist Christian should be to truly be like Jesus. Jesus summed up the 10 Commandments saying:
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (Matthew 21:37-40)


To love God and your neighbors unconditionally is what Jesus taught. If we're going to strictly adhere to one rule/command as Christians, that should be the one. And that is something that all Christians can and should be able to agree on.

I hope I can be that kind of fundamentalist. I don't want to water down Jesus' teachings to gain favor/acceptance from the world, but I want to speak the truth in love and with love and I want my actions to back up my words.

Christianity has nothing to do with politics, laws, or regulations, but has everything to do with attitude and relationships.

[I don't speak to other religions because I won't claim to know enough about Islamic fundmentalism, Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, Orthodox Jews, etc. to make a judgement on why they hold to strict interpretations of their religious teachings or the attitude behind their actions.]

I'm not sure that really answers any question, but those are my thoughts on the matter.

Chris said...

Am I the only one that thinks we are going too soft on fundamentalists? What about the ones that thought Rock and roll music was evil, or more comtemporary, rap music? How is it that with so many other groups of people, we look at how they really are, but we gave fundamentalist the benefit of the doubt?

Anonymous said...

Bryan here.

I think God respects each and every individual as His own unique creation, and subsequently I think God approves of a variety of different ways for us to worship Him and respect Him; in that sense I suppose I wouldn't claim that "fundamentalist" or "evangelical" Christians are necessarily any closer (or further) from God from any other Christian. Our relationships with God are special, and I don't think God necessarily "weighs" one theological or spiritual practice over another. That's what sometimes aggravates me about fundamentalists; they claim that you can only know Jesus through "their" church, "their" practices, "their" Bible studies, "their" political opinions. The moment you start believing your faith or God's plans for you are superior to others is the moment you become a hypocrite and a Pharisee. So many Christians try to spread the faith by saying "look at how much better I am now that I've done X, Y, and Z" but the reality of the matter is we're all still sinners, and we're all worthy of the utmost punishment for our transgressions.

It's by grace that we are saved, so I think grace and forgiveness are qualities we sorely need to express to others. That doesn't mean approving everything they do or tolerating every mistake they make. But the least effective way to promote Jesus Christ is to act as if it's *your* obligation and not the Holy Spirit's to convert. This is one critical element of fundamentalism I often find myself critiquing, espesically up here in the Northeast, where so many people have been turned off to faith entirely because of the rabble-rousing of fundamentalists. So many fundamentalists act as if preaching the "end-times" is their own personal responsibility, and they associate being Christian with spreading the faith through messages of intolerance of hate. The moment you start using the Bible as a bullying pulpit to attack the beliefs of others is the moment you've lost, and not won, future believers.

My experiences with Christian fundamentalism during my High School years drove me from agnosticism into atheism. It was through love, tolerance and compassion -- and the intervention of the Holy Spirit -- that was saved. I hope that as Christians, we can find some way to justify our personal convictions on both logic and faith. I won't deny that faith is an important guiding factor in our lives, but faith without logic -- without rules, without guidelines, without disciplines -- can be destructive and easily manipulated by Satan to meet his own objectives.

Anonymous said...

(Bryan again.)

Walter Mead has a great article that compares and contrasts Christian fundamentalists with Christian evangelicals in the latest September/October edition of the "Foreign Affairs" publication. Reading the article really made it clear to me that I was an "evangelical" and not a "fundamentalist." I'd highly suggest reading the article; the author isn't a Christian, but he does an awfully good job of critiquing the current religious revival in the U.S.

Rachelle said...

Bryan!

I'm glad you posted that article. I'm reading it right now and finding it VERY interesting!

Anonymous said...

No better example of religious fundamentalism than 9/11? I know you were "in school" when this happened, but might not the Crusades be a worthy superior? How about witch trials? The Jewish Holocaust? As insidious as 9/11 may be, surely there are "better examples."